Find a news story anywhere in the world:



Stories Stories Politics Revealed: Finsbury Park terror suspect who 'ploughed into worshippers leaving mosque' identified as dad-of-four

Revealed: Finsbury Park terror suspect who 'ploughed into worshippers leaving mosque' identified as dad-of-four
Written by jonathan     June 19, 2017    
0.0 (0)
30   0   3   0   0   0
Write Review

The Finsbury Park terror attack suspect who allegedly ploughed a van into a group of Muslim worshippers has been identified as a dad-of-four.

Darren Osborne has been named as the suspect arrested after the attack, which took place near a mosque in Finsbury Park, north London, early today.

The 47-year-old grew up in Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, but now lives with his partner and four children in Cardiff, Wales, former pals said.

One ex-schoolmate, who attended Broadoak Mathematics and Computing College with Osborne, said he had known him for more than three decades.

Referring to a picture of the suspect at the scene of the attack, he told Mirror Online: "I went to school with him, I've known him for 35 years, it's 100% him.

"He lives in Wales, he has four kids and a missus."

This evening, Scotland Yard confirmed the suspect's name as Osborne.

Earlier, a man who claimed to know Osborne had said he was "disturbed" by the news of the attack, adding that he "couldn't believe" it.

Meanwhile, a woman from Weston-super-Mare, who knew the suspect from her youth, said: ""We are all devastated honestly. It's a small place."

She added: "When I heard what happened it absolutely made me feel ill."

Their comments came as police officers were spotted outside the suspect's terraced home in Pentwyn, where neighbours were shocked.

Unsuspecting pedestrians

One man died and at 10 other people were injured after Osborne allegedly targeted unsuspecting pedestrians near Finsbury Park Mosque.

However, the dead man was already being treated in the street for an unrelated issue and it is unclear if the terror attack caused or contributed to his death.

Witnesses claimed Obsorne, who was detained by members of the public at the scene, shouted: "I'm going to kill Muslims."

The suspect was arrested by police on suspicion of attempted murder. He has since been further arrested for the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism including murder and attempted murder.

According to public records, Osborne was born in Singapore in 1969. His mum and other relatives still live in Weston-super-Mare.

This afternoon, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said the terror attack was "quite clearly an attack on Muslims".

Ms Dick said: "This was quite clearly an attack on Muslims who looked like they were probably Muslims and they were coming from a prayer meeting.

"We treat this as a terrorist attack."

She added: "Sadly we have suffered a number of attacks and very sad events over the last few weeks."

Ms Dick spoke as Security Minister Ben Wallace confirmed the man was not known to the security services.

He told BBC Radio 4's World At One: "What I can say on this case is this individual, so far as we know at the moment, was not known to us, but we are aware of a rise in the far right."

Osborne, who is believed to have acted alone, allegedly struck as the area was busy with worshippers attending Ramadan night prayers.

Armed officers arrived at the scene within minutes and the suspect was taken to a south London police station, where he remains in custody.

Terrible terrorist attack

Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the incident as "every bit as sickening" as the recent atrocities in London and Manchester.

After meeting faith leaders at Finsbury Park Mosque this afternoon, she said: "The terrible terrorist attack which took place last night was an evil borne out of hatred and it has devastated a community.

"I am pleased to have been here today to see the strength of that community coming together, all faiths united in one desire to see extremism and hatred of all sorts driven out of our society.

"There is no place for this hatred in our country today and we need to work together as one society, one community, to drive it out, this evil which is affecting so many families."

Earlier today, dramatic new footage emerged showing furious crowds shouting out as Osborne was bundled into the back of a police van.

In the chaotic video, officers can be seen telling people to "move back" as the suspect is led to the van, with his hands cuffed in front of him.

Some onlookers film his arrest on their mobile phones, while many others point and yell during the incident in the early hours of today.

The video, captured by an eyewitness, shows an officer apparently checking the suspect's restraints before telling him to sit down inside the van.

Meanwhile, two other officers stand in front of the vehicle's open back doors.

Looking battered 

The footage came after a photograph showed the suspect looking battered and bruised after allegedly carrying out the attack.

Witnesses claimed Osborne was hit by people at the scene as they held him before police arrived and arrested him.

Ahmed Moor, of Liverpool, took the photo after he noticed the immediate aftermath of the van incident while on a night out with friends.

"There was about five to six people holding him down," Mr Moor, who was on a visit to London, told The Mirror.

"Some people hit him while he was on the floor.

"The Imam stopped them hitting him."

One man was already being given first aid in the street before the van was driven into pedestrians in the early hours of this morning.

He was tragically declared dead at the scene shortly after 1am, but police said it was not clear whether his death was directly linked.

The London Ambulance Service took eight patients to hospital after the incident, which occurred during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Two of these are said to be in a very serious condition.

Two others were treated for minor injuries at the scene, police said.

London Ambulance Service Deputy Director of Operations Peter McKenna said in a statement this afternoon: "Our thoughts are with all of those affected by the incident in Finsbury Park and their friends and family."

Special operations centre

He added: "We were called to the incident at 12:15am (Monday 19 June) and sent over 60 of our medics including ambulance crews, advanced paramedics, specialist response teams and an advanced trauma team from London’s Air Ambulance.

"The first of our medics arrived within 14 minutes of the first emergency call.

“We managed the incident in a dedicated special operations centre, and, as always, our priority was to assess patients and ensure that they were treated and taken to hospital as soon as possible.

“I’m very proud of all of our staff who responded to this incident alongside our other emergency services colleagues.”

Police said all of the victims were Muslims.

Witnesses described seeing officers giving emergency medical treatment to victims after the incident at 12.20am in Seven Sisters Road.

Many of the victims are believed to have just finished worshipping at the Finsbury Park mosque after breaking the Ramadan fast.

The Metropolitan Police described the attack as a "major incident" and later said it was "investigating all the circumstances leading up" to it.

Read Full Article: Revealed: Finsbury Park terror suspect who 'ploughed into worshippers leaving mosque' identified as dad-of-four


Finsbury Park Mosque, Saint Thomas's Road, London
Navigate There


Adam Aspinall & Sophie Evans
Swap Start/End

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.

Site sponsored by BiStuff | Buy & Sell Locally